J. Cameron Mowatt
T: (604) 318 2300
- LLB, University of British Columbia, 1980
- BA, University of British Columbia, 1975
- British Columbia (Barrister & Solicitor), 1981
- England and Wales (Solicitor), 1993
- Hong Kong (Solicitor), 1993
(Current practicing certificate in British Columbia)
Cam Mowatt has extensive experience as counsel for governments and private sector clients in investment treaty disputes. Recognized as a leading lawyer in international arbitration by the foremost legal rankings publications, Cam has acted as counsel to the Government of Mexico in all of its investor-state arbitrations since 1997, and as an external advisor to the Canadian government and State-owned entities on investment treaty matters. He has participated in 32 investment treaty arbitrations, including cases administered by the ICSID in Washington DC and ad hoc arbitrations under the UNCITRAL arbitration rules. He is a founder and editor of Investor-State Law Guide, a leading research database for investment treaty law.
Cam was a partner in Thomas & Partners, an international trade and investment law boutique, prior to joining Borden Ladner Gervais’ International Trade and Investment Group in 2008. He now practices independently through J. Cameron Mowatt, Law Corporation.
- Counsel to the Government of Mexico in 22 investor-state arbitrations involving claims for damages ranging from $20 million to $2.3 billion. (See case list at: http://www.linkedin.com/in/cameronmowatt)
- Advised Canadian government entities in three investor-state cases under NAFTA Chapter Eleven.
- Advised resource-sector clients on protection accorded under Canada’s bilateral investment treaties and free trade agreements with Latin American States.
- Advised private sector clients on structuring foreign direct investments to obtain treaty protection backed by political risk insurance.
- Advised governments on the negotiation and implementation of bilateral and multilateral investment protection treaties and the application of the WTO Agreements and the NAFTA to public-private partnerships, health services, telecom services and cultural industries.
- Advised private sector clients on the application of Canada’s Foreign Extraterritorial Measures Act of Canada to the United States’ trade and investment embargo against Cuba.
- Advised private sector clients on compliance with Canada’s Corruption of Foreign Public Officials Act.
- Advised lawyers and professional liability insurers in connection with insurance coverage issues.
- Defended professional negligence claims against lawyers, accountants and stockbrokers in Canada and Hong Kong
RANKINGS AND RECOGNITIONS
- Recognized in the 2017 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada” (International Arbitration).
- Recognized in the 2017 edition of Chambers Global – The World´s Leading Lawyers for Business (Dispute Resolution: Arbitration)
- Recognized in the 2017 edition of The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (International Commercial Arbitration, International Trade Regulation).
- Martindale-Hubbell® BV® Distinguished™ 4.4 out of 5 Peer Review Rated.
- Described in the 2010 edition of Chambers Gobal as: “knowledgeable, strategic and practical, and has excellent standing in the arbitration community”. Also: “Sources describe him as one of the most experienced Canadian private sector lawyers in investor-state arbitrations”.
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Editor, Investor-State Law Guide¸ http://www.investorstatelawguide.com
- Co-author (with Celeste Mowatt) Border Timbers and others v Zimbabwe - Case Comment, ICSID Review - Foreign Investment Law Journal, April 30, 2013
- Co-author (with Robert Dean and Craig Chiasson) "GAR Investment Treaty Arbitration Know-How – Canada," en Global Arbitration Review, November 2012.
- Speaker, "Hands Off My Mine: Protecting Canadian-Owned Mining Projects From Foreign Governments and Counterparties," Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy & Petroleum Management and Economics Society, November 2011.
- Speaker, "Canada's FIPAs and FTAs with Latin America: Serving Canadian Interests?" en Canadian International Council Canada-Latin America Forum, Vancouver, mayo de 2011.
- Author, "Remedies Under Canada's Foreign Investment Protection Agreements with Latin American States," BLG's Dispute Resolution Newsletter, fall 2011. See http://www.blg.com/en/home/publications/Documents/publication_2003.pdf
- Author, "Snapshot of Investor-State Arbitration in the Americas," BLG's Latin American Newsletter, winter 2010. See http://www.blg.com/en/home/publications/Pages/publication_1765.aspx
- Speaker, "The Use of Investment Treaties in Deal Structuring," en Federated Press, 10th Negotiating and Drafting Major Business Agreements Conference, November 2009.
- Speaker, "Investor State Arbitration - What To Do When Things Go Really Wrong," Canadian Bar Association, March 2009.
- Author, "Investment Treaty Arbitration," en BLG's Dispute Resolution Newsletter, fall 2008.
- Co-Editor, The NAFTA Arbitration Reports, 2002-05.
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia (LSBC); LSBC Rule of Law and Independence Advisory Committee, 2006-2013; Competency Committee, 1991-92.
- Member, International Bar Association (IBA); IBA Arbitration Committee and Anti-Corruption Committee, 2008-to date; Organizing Committee, IBA Annual Conference, Vancouver 2010
- Member, Canadian Bar Association (CBA); CBA International Law and Insurance Law Subsections
- Member, Vancouver Bar Association (VBA); VBA Secretary-Treasurer, 1987-92
- Director, Vancouver Summer Festival Society, 2010-11
- Volunteer, BLG Reads to Kids, 2008-09
- Chair, Parents’ Advisory Council, UBC Transition Program, 2001-03
- Member of the Arbutus Club and the Vancouver Club.